Community Support Network of Nevada County
The Community Support Network of Nevada County is an inclusive, voluntary association of agencies and individuals from the Nevada County community who share a common mission: That all families in Nevada County have ready access to a well-integrated and coordinated support network that is easily available and well funded.
Children’s Bill of Rights for Nevada County, California ~ 2015
One of CSN’s biggest initiatives has been facilitating the creation of a Children’s Bill of Rights for Nevada County. In April 2015 we began circulating this completed document. The community-wide process began in June 2014 and here is the result: Children’s Bill of Rights_March 2015_ENGLISH_blue text. Organizations may endorse and submit electronically (to email@example.com), or deliver in person to any CSN Partners meeting. Here’s the form for Endorsement by Organizations: Children’s Bill of Rights_Mar2015_Endorsement Text_ORGANIZATIONS. Individuals may endorse the document in person at any CSN Partners meeting or at specific events in the community.
The Community Support Network grew organically when a small number of agencies working to support families decided to come together with the Child Abuse Prevention Council (CAPC) to ensure that services provided were meeting needs, and to identify and fill gaps in these services. The successful nature of these gatherings, with support and funding from First 5 Nevada County and CAPC, nurtured a real sense of collaboration and the seed began to grow.
There are now more than 60 member organizations that include government agencies, education agencies, community-based organizations, businesses, parents, faith-based groups, and others interested in improving the quality life for children and families in our community.
The CSN meets most months (on hiatus July, August, and December) to share ideas, learn about area programs and collaborations, and discuss matters affecting Nevada County families. We work together to build skills and abilities that will sustain and improve our individual and collaborative efforts to serve the community. By holding regular, focused meetings we improve and foster communication, coordination, and collaboration of both public and private agency services for families. We also advocate for families by identifying, raising awareness, building recognition, and enhancing visibility about existing and emerging issues that strengthen families and improve the health and quality of life for people in our community – especially those who are facing challenges and underserved.
CSN Steering Committee
The direction for CSN meetings is guided by a small group of members who have volunteered to participate in this leadership role and are committed … are available to attend monthly Network meetings as well as monthly steering committee meetings … will act as liaison to one of the identified essential functions and help develop an action group to fulfill activities to meet their function … agree to a time commitment of approximately 8 hours per month … accept responsibility for their share of leadership and facilitation of periodic network meetings … and will support the generative culture of the Network. Members of the CSN Steering Committee also serve as the CAPC board.
Current members are:
- Joyce Ash, Child Advocates of Nevada County
- Laurie DeMartini, PARTNERS Family Resource Center and CAPC Board
- Lindsay Dunckel, First 5 of Nevada County and CAPC Board (Treasurer)
- Guinevere Ewing, PLEAG Parent Representative (on hiatus)
- Kristen McGrew, PARTNERS Family Resource Centers Countywide Coordinator and CAPC Board (Chair)
- Ned Russell, 40 Assets and CAPC Board (Vice Chair)
- Cindy Wilson, Nevada County Public Health Department
- Lynn Woerner, Kare Crisis Nursery
Here are some relevant documents
- CSN Fact Sheet_Updated_06_2016
- CSN Agreements and Guidelines_Updated Sept 2015
- CSN Meeting Agreements
- Consensus Decision-Making Overview & Process – CSNNC_May 2010
- Children’s Bill of Rights_March 2015_ENGLISH_blue text
- Children’s Bill of Rights_March 2015_SPANISH_blue text
- Children’s Bill of Rights_Mar2015_Endorsement Text_ORGANIZATIONS (includes CBOR text on page 2 of document)
- CAPC Fact Sheet_Aug 2014_CDSS
- Application-for-Appointment-to-CAPC_CSN_rev0716 (Word doc)